Cross Country teams head to state

Senior+Micah+Wilson%2C+Sectional+Champion%2C+coming+around+a+curve+during+the+muddy+Sectionals+race.+Micah+went+on+to+win+the+state+title.+Photo+courtesy+of+Memphis+Patterson.+

Senior Micah Wilson, Sectional Champion, coming around a curve during the muddy Sectionals race. Micah went on to win the state title. Photo courtesy of Memphis Patterson.

Caroline Bauza, Staff Writer

Another weekend, another cross country meet, and another success for the Saints.

Both the boys and girls cross country teams have qualified for the IHSA State Championships, the boys for their eighth year in a row and the girls for their third year consecutively. 

After a program sweep at the Regionals meet, both teams had outstanding results in the muddy conditions at Lake Park High School. The boys team, led by Sectional champion Micah Wilson, placed 2nd out of 18 teams. This was the third year in a row that a Saint has won the boy’s division at the Sectional meet. Joey Xotla and Mitch Garcia crossed the line together in 8th and 9th. 

The girls team placed 3rd out of 18 teams. They were led by Morgan Sandlund, who placed 11th, with Brooklyn Walker and Marley Andelman coming in close behind.  

The Saints made the trek downstate to Detweiller Park for the IHSA 3A State Final Meet on Saturday, November 6.

Micah Wilson won the 3A state title, coming in first with a time of 14:11.18 for three miles. (See Twitter post below.)

Overall, the boys team came in 17th place while the girls placed 8th.

Courtesy of Twitter.
The Saints Boys Cross Country team after the second place finish at Sectionals. Photo courtesy of Memphis Patterson.