Opinion: Are college admissions policies fair for all students?

Nishi Patel and Evan Luxton

In recent years, many universities and colleges have opted for a test-optional admissions process where students do not have to submit their SAT/ACT scores as an admission requirement.

This has been an attempt to provide more opportunities to all students who might not be good test-takers.

However, are universities and colleges really test-optional?

A recent study by Andre Brucee showed that almost all of the students who were admitted into competitive schools had submitted their SAT/ACT scores. The university chosen was test-optional but the positive correlation of students
being accepted and those who submitted standardized scores was evident as Brucee conducted the study.

In addition to that, a student who had submitted a 22 as their ACT score had received a scholarship of $24,000. When the score was raised by 3 points, the scholarship also raised to $36,000.

Even though universities are opting for being test-optional, this simple study raises the question of whether colleges are really test-optional.

Because higher scores on SAT/ACT have been correlated with more scholarships; even just as much as submitting your scores raises your chance of getting into a college/ university. In reality, test scores, whether optional or not, still hold an indispensable role in your admissions process.

But, what about the students who are not good test-takers but have the ability to be great students? It is unfair to them that they may be kept from a better education just because of standardized test scores.

Is this really what being test-optional means? Are universities and colleges fair?

In an article by Andre Brucee for NBC News, Bruce states, “Admissions departments use ‘test-optional’ as a marketing tool, promoting their own interests as they pretend to serve the needs of students and parents.”

So, even if universities are test-optional, they still consider the scores, and it proves how unfair the Enrollment process is for students.