The Student News Site of St. Charles East High School, 1020 Dunham Road, St. Charles, Illinois 60174

The X-RAY

The X-RAY

The X-RAY

Story Idea Form

Propose a Story Idea

Know someone who does something cool or artistic? Someone making an impact in our community? Someone wiith a story to tell? A topic you believe is in need of coverage? Submit these things so we can provide recognition for our students and issues in our community. We want to cover student voices and relevant stories, and we value your insight in doing so!

Homecoming Volleyball Game leaves seniors with a win

On Tuesday, August 29, students, staff, and parents gathered in the gym to spectate the annual homecoming volleyball game. One of many events throughout the week, the volleyball game provides the classes with an opportunity to compete for points that go towards winning the spirit stick. Most students are eligible to try out for the homecoming volleyball team, excluding those on class council, East volleyball players, and some other athletes, who have different rules for participation depending on their sport. Coaches, often those who play volleyball either for East or through a club, build their roster at tryouts. Tryouts are traditionally held a week or two in advance, and all four class teams practice once before the big game. 

“I played volleyball for one year for the school for fun, and I decided to play volleyball for homecoming since I wasn’t going to continue playing volleyball,” says sophomore Isaac Lenard, “It was exhilarating to be able to play in front of a student section, and I would recommend other athletes to represent their class.” 

With filled seats and an awaiting crowd the game kicked off with an intense game between the juniors and the freshmen. The juniors won, placing them in the final round. In the game that followed, seniors and sophomores played a fairly neck-and-neck game, however, seniors came out with a win, leading them to the championship game along with the juniors. The next game was played between the freshman and sophomores for third and fourth place, with sophomores delivering a win. Ending the event with the championship game consisting of juniors versus seniors, seniors won first place overall. 

“Marc’s hit was crazy, like, I don’t know, it just gave me goosebumps,” said senior Alex Cirpinski, who played the middle position, “And I was on the sideline because I got subbed out but you know as soon as I saw the set go up in the air I knew like ‘Oh my god’, like we just won that’s easy.”

“I like the pressure and excitement with all the students there,” added senior teammate Marc Walker, “it felt awesome especially beating the juniors, and Marco Klebotis is my son.

The event concluded with loud cheers and bright smiles as East’s seniors flooded the gym floor in triumph and a long-awaited win.