Art students share “Covid-19” creations

A few of Mr. Chapman’s art students share their visual expressions of this challenging time

Serena Thakkar, Staff Writer

Art has the power to unite people. To be able to understand or connect with a piece of artwork doesn’t require one to speak a certain language because art is a universal language that everyone can understand. 

During the difficult times like now, art can be especially important, as it can help people express feelings they are having trouble coping with. 

Gregory Chapman, a 2D Media teacher at East, is encouraging his students to use this time to continue creating art at home. Incorporating the idea of social distancing, students are currently creating art that reflects their favorite place to be during isolation. 

“The thing that I am seeing more of is student art that illustrates people reaching out and longing to be with other people. I think this event is causing us all to realize how important we are to each other and that being together makes life richer,” said Chapman.  

When asked why art is crucial during these times of social distancing, Chapman explained, “Art is a wonderful way to express things inside that can be difficult to articulate with words. We are all thinking so many thoughts and feeling such a mixed range of emotions that sometimes it is good to be still, quiet, and let your inside world manifest itself through art making.” 

After watching the news or hearing the day’s (possibly record-breaking) statistics, it is definitely normal to be left a bit overwhelmed, even helpless, and art is a way to help individuals cope with thoughts and feelings.

Chapman explained that “some of the best pieces of art are made during periods of great hardships and struggle.” Although some might assume that people would be less motivated to create art and be creative during these times, Chapman said that when “students send art to me, [it] makes me laugh as well as cause me to think. Each piece opens a doorway into the artist’s mind, inviting us to walk in and take a look around. They are leaving a record of their personal experience of life at this moment in time. We should feel honored to be offered the chance to ‘see’ what they are thinking.” 

After Chapman shared his students’ work online with East teachers, he received lots of positive feedback. One faculty member even encouraged him to give staff members the chance to send in submissions. Many teachers

Students share their “quarantine” art.

took him up on the offer.

“[Art] speaks a universal language that everyone can understand,” said Chapman. “Some speak the language of a

rt fluently, [but] others only need practice to be able to effectively get a message across visually and conceptually.”

(To read the full interview, and view additional submissions to the gallery, go to our In-Depth page.)

Caption: Art pieces submitted by 2-D Media students for Mr. Chapman’s virtual art show.

Students who have shared their art: Alice Abbott, Jackson Belich, Megan Brod, Meghan Brophy, Ben Cabel, Illiad Cherniaiev, Leo Czerwinski, Dina Desare, Roselyn Diaz Cruz, Kira Drozdik,Tru Domenz, Mariana Garcia, Farah Hassan, Shannon Hornstein, Adoniss Hutcheson, Lauren Kamysz, Kaylee Krisher, Alexis Lee, Tyler Leveille, Alejandra Lopez, Cole Mancuso, Natalie Miller, Katelyn Moran, Lauren Pickles, Pedro Reyes, Guadalupe Sanchez, Mary Shambora, Allison Suhr, Megan Wallace, and Olivia Waxman.

More examples of Chapman’s 2D Art students’ work.
2D Art students share their creations.
Chapman’s art students express their creativity during tough times.