The Student News Site of St. Charles East High School, 1020 Dunham Road, St. Charles, Illinois 60174

The X-RAY

The X-RAY

The X-RAY

Story Idea Form

Propose a Story Idea

Know someone who does something cool or artistic? Someone making an impact in our community? Someone wiith a story to tell? A topic you believe is in need of coverage? Submit these things so we can provide recognition for our students and issues in our community. We want to cover student voices and relevant stories, and we value your insight in doing so!

New clubs? Now what?

In the last two years, numerous new clubs have been added to the list of clubs the school has to offer Gardening club, E-sports, Fictional book club, South Asian Student Association (SASA), Leading Women of the Future and more. 

…So, if you’re feeling a little confused about which club to join, don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. 

Starting off strong, we have Gardening club, led by club adviser Margaret Nannenhorn from the science department.  Nannenhorn said, “Gardening Club is ready for an unbe-leaf-able year! 

We plan on planting plants both inside and outside and have been working on upcycling planting containers. We meet every other Monday after school in room D147. We are trying to dig up new members. So if you want to have some fern, come grow with us!  It’s a good thyme!”. 

If you’re a plant lover or interested in making the school a greener place, Gardening club is a great choice for you. 

Next up we have Esports, led by advisers Stephanie Corn from the LRC and Micheal Heinig from IT department. Esports meets on Mondays to practice and will compete on Wednesdays against other schools.

This year we are expanding ESports. We are now competing in both Super Smash Brothers and Splatoon,” said Corn, “The DuKane conference will be holding its first ESports conference tournament in March. We will be sending two solos and one five-person crew to compete for the Smash conference title. We will also be competing in the IHSA eSports sectional tournament for the first time.” If you’re competitive, love gaming and working with others, Esports could be perfect for you.

Next on the list: Fictional Book Club. Fictional Book Club meets every other Friday in room F183 and is led by club adviser Christopher Stone  from the English department. This club is geared more towards fantasy literature. They are reading the book The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie and hoping to finish the trilogy by winter break.

“We discuss characters, plot, what we liked, what we didn’t – everything. The next book in the trilogy is Before They are Hanged,” said Stone.  If you love the fantasy genre and want to talk about books, stop by the next Fictional Book Club meeting.

This next club started at the end of last year and is ready for their first full year – South Asian Student Association or SASA. SASA is led by club advisor Meghan Mitchell from the World Language department  and club president Zainab Khan. “SASA is about helping students feel more connected to their culture, but also bettering the lives of people in our/South Asian communities. We plan on hosting fundraisers to give back to the community,” SASA president Zainab Khan said, SASA meets in room B231. Keep an eye on the Orange and Black bulletin board for information on when SASA meets next.

Last but not least we have: Leading Women of the Future (LWOTF). Led by club advisor Mary Lesmann from the Social Studies department, LWOTF is a student created and run club. “Our goals are to promote the preparation of women to excel in any and all future workplaces, said Lesmann. “We are also seeking to create a safe space for any and all women at STCE. Our monthly meetings will focus on building relationships as well as personal and professional development opportunities; we are looking forward to having guest speakers who are ‘Leading Women’ in their workplace or professional field.”

Join them at the monthly meetings- Second Monday of the Month in B204 afterschool (Exception for their next meeting date: Oct. 16). “Bring a friend- all are welcome, just bring an open mind and positive attitude!” said Lesmann.

If you still are confused or have any questions about any of the clubs listed above. Please email the club advisors, they would love to answer any questions you may have! In the words of Mrs. Dandre,  “You can…Join a club…At East.”

Here’s a list of all of the clubs that East currently has to offer:

Competitive Clubs:
– Debate Team
– FCCLA
– Math Team
– Mock Trial
– Model United Nations
– Scholastic Bowl
– Science Olympiad
-SkillsUSA
– Speech & Acting Team
– Ultimate Frisbee
– X-ray Newspaper

Service Clubs:
– English NHS
– French NHS
– German NHS
– H.O.P.E.
– ISO (Special Olympics
– Interact
– Key Club
– Math NHS
– National Honor Society
– Peer Leadership
– School Store
– Social Studies NHS
– Spanish NHS
– STC Guides
– Student Council

Special Interest:
– Adventure
– Art
– Auto
– Chess
– Code
– Creative Writing
– Drama
– eSports
– Eco-Minded
– Educators Rising
– Fellowship of Christian
Athletes
– Fictional Book
– Gamers
– Gardening
– Gender Sexuality Alliance
– Halo
– History
– Lead Women of the Future
– Needledrop
– Operation Snowball
– Ping Pong
– Saints Helping Animals
– South Asian Student Association
-Studio Theater
– Vex Robotics
– Woodworking

Visit the East’s Club website for more information for more information!