The Student News Site of St. Charles East High School, 1020 Dunham Road, St. Charles, Illinois 60174

The X-RAY

The X-RAY

The X-RAY

Story Idea Form

Propose a Story Idea

Know someone who does something cool or artistic? Someone making an impact in our community? Someone wiith a story to tell? A topic you believe is in need of coverage? Submit these things so we can provide recognition for our students and issues in our community. We want to cover student voices and relevant stories, and we value your insight in doing so!

Fostering Understanding: East Welcomes Muslim Student Association

The Muslim Student Association’s 2023-2024 logo. Photo courtesy of Syed Ahmed.

St. Charles East High School welcomes a vibrant addition to its student-led organizations: the Muslim Student Association (MSA). This initiative promises to enrich the school’s cultural landscape and promote understanding and inclusivity among its student body. Founder Syed Ahmed has ambitious goals and projections to spread diversity and understanding throughout St. Charles East’s evolving demographic. From community events to delicious potlucks, MSA aims to enrich the school’s cultural landscape and promote diversity, understanding, and inclusivity among its student body.

As East’s community grows exponentially, classes are becoming more diverse, as the student body sees individuals with distinct backgrounds. Ahmed noted the expanding number of Muslim students attending East and decided to act. Ahmed stated, “Increasing diversity asks for increasing representation for the respective diverse groups.” He believes that creating a club that can foster an environment in which students of all backgrounds would benefit not only those who are a part of the culture but also those who desire to experience a new grasp on Islamic traditions.

Ahmed believes that MSA will both positively and substantially impact the student body at East. Ahmed stated, “The big impact that I want to see MSA make is the further acceptance of the Muslim community and sharing the positive messages of Islam with everyone regardless of their religious affiliation.” MSA hopes to inform both Muslim and non-Muslim students about the rich heritage, traditions and contributions of Islam, while welcoming the views and traditions of other religions.

MSA has already started its engines by working with St. Charles East’s South Asian Student Association to combine forces and hold a grand event for all. Ahmed commented, “Our upcoming event is a potluck-style iftar in collaboration with SASA.” Muslim’s daily fast during the month of Ramadan begins immediately after the pre-dawn meal of Suhur and ends at sunset with the evening meal of iftar: the fast-breaking evening meal during Ramadan. He continued “It’s open to people from all backgrounds and not exclusively Muslims. MSA’s purpose is to share the culture during Ramadan with people who might not be aware and just have a fun time along with the great members SASA has.” As of now, it will take place in the Commons on Thursday, March 21 at approximately 7 p.m.

From large feasts to meaningful conversations, Muslim Student Association will be a testament to East’s students and their commitment to create an inclusive and diverse community of individuals who want to learn and share their different values and aspects of culture.