The Student News Site of St. Charles East High School, 1020 Dunham Road, St. Charles, Illinois 60174

The X-RAY

The X-RAY

The X-RAY

Story Idea Form

Propose a Story Idea

Know someone who does something cool or artistic? Someone making an impact in our community? Someone wiith a story to tell? A topic you believe is in need of coverage? Submit these things so we can provide recognition for our students and issues in our community. We want to cover student voices and relevant stories, and we value your insight in doing so!

Jojo Siwa’s Newest Music Video Brings Hoots Across the Internet

Wikimedia commons

Before releasing the music video for her new song “Karma,” singer and dancer JoJo Siwa posted various sneak peeks and hints on her social media platforms about what her new music video would bring to the table. Eager fans and netizens buckled their seatbelts and prepared for take-off as they waited for the first music video that would represent Siwa’s new vibe.

From rainbow-sprinkled cupcakes, bright pink bows and a multitude of glitter to her now “not made for kids” era, multiple mixed reviews accompanied the change. People scratched their heads in confusion, wondering how writing songs about “high-topped shoes” and “coming back like a boomerang” would play out following this major modification, especially when dissecting the scandalous lyrics to “Karma.”

Finally, on April 5, 2024, Siwa hosted a livestream after announcing the release of the “Karma” music video at 11 p.m. After expressing her choreographic and artistic expression in the video on social media, she finally released it. Only eight days after posting the video to her YouTube channel, the video holds over 20 million views as of April 15.

Siwa received major backlash through laughs only a few hours after her post. Over 183,000 comments, mainly negative, surfaced on her music video.

“I liked the 2012 version better,” stated one user.

“She is not coming back like a boomerang,” stated another.

According to PopBuzz, Siwa responded to her backlash by stating, “I wanted people’s heads to turn, I wanted people to go ‘What?’ I wanted people to go ‘What is she saying?’” She further went on to imply how some people liked it and some people didn’t.

Siwa’s confidence and the implications of her work for shock factor have been spiraling through the internet ever since “Karma” was released. However, major questions arose across the internet, mainly regarding how this backlash will play out in her career.

The biggest thing I got from this music video was a heavy laugh with my friends during study hall and Facetime. It’s funny how silly and unserious the video is, and I think everyone should watch it if they need a good laugh.